Patient Financial Counselor (Provider Patient Fin Svc)
FTE: 1.0 / Status: Full-time
Schedule: Primarily Mon - Fri / 8AM - 5PM
Salary: Typical starting range is $18.10 to $22.62 (based on qualifications and years of relevant experience)
Asante is more than a great hospital system in an amazing location. We are a community of passionate providers and service-focused caregivers who collaborate to deliver amazing patient outcomes; a place where titles don't matter as much as your creativity, drive, and passion. Our culture, values and people create an environment of sustained medical excellence. All three Asante hospitals have earned five stars from CMS for overall quality -- the top rating given. In fact, Asante accounts for three of the five Oregon hospitals to achieve this rare honor.
The Patient Financial Counselor provides insurance verification and benefit collection for all outpatient ancillary services and inpatient surgeries and admissions. They verify & possibly obtain authorization and pre-certification for services rendered. Additionally, they provide scheduled and non-scheduled patients with estimates for procedures and assist the Patient Access Representatives in explaining the co-pays, deductibles, and estimated charges.
As a Patient Financial Counselor at Asante, you will have the opportunity to:
- Educate patients regarding all financial assistance programs available and assisting them in the enrollment process; discuss eligibility requirements for the Oregon Health Plan, Financial Assistance programs, and Health First Payment Card with uninsured and underinsured patients; and provide applications for these programs as well as education on the completion and submission.
- Understand the Insurance verification for new and current patients, incoming authorizations process, and accurately has knowledge of electronic medical records system.
- Verify patient insurance, benefits, and out of pocket requirements via phone or website verification.
- Ensure all required agreements, waivers, and financial support applications are filled out accurately, obtained and properly documented; and correctly obtain and enter the correct insurance and coverage information
- Contact patients prior to visit to inform them of any co-pay, deposit, or co-insurance due at the time of service.
- Assist with patient communication when medical coverage authorizations are denied and/or pre-determination is required and monitor when waivers and advances beneficiary forms are required.
- Contact the insurance carrier to see if a pre-authorization is required for procedure/test and if yes, verify that it has been requested by the ordering physician. If authorization hasn't been requested, follow up with scheduling department and/or physician's office until authorization is completed.
- Estimate the cost of the procedure/test and the amount of patient's upfront co-pay/co-insurance/OOP/deductible.
- Inform the patient of our policy of collecting at the time of service. If patients are unable to pay, provide information regarding their payment options and services available and when applicable, enroll patients in these services.
- Use appropriate software/programs (i.e. Search America) to screen patients who are uninsured / underinsured for Point of Service Asante Financial Assistance eligibility; educate these patients on their eligibility for the Asante Financial Assistance program; and use the ADT System to ensure the appropriate discount is applied to the patient's bill as well as communicate Financial Assistance eligibility information to the Business Office.
- Review admissions into the hospital daily and notifies the appropriate insurance carriers of admission to hospital. After notifying the insurance carriers, accounts that require Utilization Review services will be reported to the UR department.
- Collaborate with Denials and Appeals Departments to overturn claims denied.
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent experience demonstrating the ability to effectively communicate as required for the position
- Bachelor's Degree, preferred
- Minimum of 2 years medical office, customer service, billing experience or related experience is required
- Knowledge of CPT/ICD-10 codes and insurance/payor requirements also required
What We Offer for Full-time and Part-time positions
- Competitive starting wage
- Comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, and wellness
- Excellent retirement package with up to 6% employer contribution
- Generous Earned Time Off
- Tuition reimbursement after one year of service
What We Offer Our Flexible Workforce (Per diem/On-call)
- Competitive starting wage
- An additional 15% on top of the base hourly rate (if not an employee already in a benefited position)
- Benefit option available through the Asante Flexible Workforce plan
- Excellent retirement package with up to a 6% employer contribution
About Asante and Southern Oregon
Asante is a local, community owned and governed, not-for-profit organization that provides comprehensive health care services to more than 550,000 people in a nine-county area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. It includes Asante Ashland Community Hospital in Ashland, Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center in Medford, Asante Three Rivers Medical Center in Grants Pass, Asante Physician Partners throughout the Rogue Valley, and additional health care partnerships. Virtually all medical specialties and services are represented within an organization dedicated to providing exceptional care. With over 5,000 employees, Asante's entities offer outstanding opportunities for career advancement and professional growth. At Asante your work positively impacts your family, friends, neighbors and the community. Experience the difference in how you work, how you live and how you connect.
At Asante we are defined by our values - traits that guide us as we serve patients and the community:
Excellence - Respect - Honesty - Service - Teamwork
Asante is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to employ and advance in employment women, minorities, qualified individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.